Friday 20 July 2012

Commission Complete







The commission I have been working on is now complete

 I was a little worried about it all along . But the lovely lady who commissioned it was very happy with the end result and that makes me very relieved indeed.




It wasn't until I got into the painting that realized just how long it has been since I have painted anything like this, houses and gardens, so I had to change my pallet completely and do green which also made me realize just how long it has been since I have been forced to use that colour

But you do get into ruts and stay with the same colours and I suppose this is why artist work sometimes remains the same and very recognisable.

I tend to fall in love with some colours, this happens mostly because the colour is so " yummy" for want of a better word. It will do just what you want and it never fails you.

Thinking about it this is probably because I like the colour and use it all the time and have learnt it so well I can make it do all that I want from it....so really all colours are Yummy just some are understood more than others......making any sence here?

I tend to paint in a very spur of the moment way. Most of the time I really only have a slight idea in the back of my head as to what the painting will be like when finished, the subject matter usually stays sort of the same but the way it is painted may change, so much so that I sometimes surprise myself with the end result.

 Some of my best paintings have another painting underneath that I have slaved over for days and in the end completely got the poops with and have painted a completely different one over the top.

 The top one has usually been painted  quickly with out any real thought as I'd be in a bad mood , well that is probably an understatement,  and just wanted to get something on the canvas to cover up the awful failure underneath.

So having to stick to the real colours, to stick to the plan and to use colours I'd normally shy away from has done me the world of good. It was a great exercise in getting completely out of my comfort zone.




Not a bad thing for an artist to have to do every now and again


Now back to the art room to do........more!

1 comment:

  1. glad u have ditched your fav colour-BROWN!!!

    ReplyDelete